LAMONT WILTSEE presiding minister PAUL WOUDENBERG RLS chaplain, C. E. WILSON chaplain emeritus RLS (The Herald Saturday September 12, 1987).
Church in the Forest opened its doors as a community chapel on September 13, 1987. Conceived by Joseph Wandke, President of the Stevenson School, the founding minister was Lamont Wiltsee, an Episcopal priest, assisted by Stevenson School Chaplains Dr. Paul Woudenberg, a Methodist minister, and Clifford “Coach” Wilson, an Episcopal priest. They joked that they were designing a church they would actually like to attend! Combining the traditions of several denominations, they created a beautiful worship experience with particular attention to meaningful liturgy and great music. We continue their legacy with a congregation and clergy representing the breadth and depth of our Christian tradition. The church is located in the award winning Erdman Chapel at Robert Louis Stevenson School in Pebble Beach. This chapel, designed by John Lyon Reid, is noted for its soaring ceilings, giant wooden pillars and lattice covered windows. A splendid glass wall behind the altar reveals a living tapestry of birds, trees and sky.
- Sunday Music Concertino at 9:45 am
- Sunday Services at 10:00 am
- Holy Communion on the first Sunday of the month
- Weddings, Baptisms and Memorial services
- Annual fellowship gatherings such as Twelfth Night Burning of the Greens on the beach, Spring Brunch and Fall Anniversary Party.
- Of particular importance is the Greg Harrold Pipe Organ built and installed in 1992. The wonderful acoustics of Erdman Chapel enhance the tonality of this exceptional instrument. In addition, our Steinway Model B Grand Piano complements our broad music program.
The members of Church in the Forest invite you to join them for a Sunday morning of spiritual growth and beauty. See you in church!